Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Plans

“Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit’; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.’ “ James 4:13-15


“There are many plans in a man’s heart, Nevertheless the LORD’s counsel - that will stand.” Proverbs 19:21


"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11


"You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3


As it turns out, the last post was not, in fact, my last post before moving. I started to say this one is, but, well, I don’t think I’ll say that now.

People who know me know that I am much more comfortable with control and order than I am with flying by the seat of my pants and chaos. However, over the years, thanks in part to my much more easy-going husband, I have learned to roll with the punches much easier than I used to.


Good thing.


I think maybe I needed a reminder that my plans are not sovereign. I am thankful for the grace in my life over the past years that has helped me to slowly loosen my grip on control and learn to face each challenge with a good and trusting attitude.


Are you wondering why I’m bringing this up at this particular season in my life?


Enter the adventure of a move to Kentucky for the Sweet Tea With Lemon household. The company which the Army contracted to move us and many others from St. Louis this summer has known for over a month that we were some of the ones to be moved and that they had a large contract with many families to be moved. Last month a representative came and evaluated our stuff and gave us a contact name who would be our agent throughout the process. Drew talked to said agent several times during the past month. On Friday he talked to the company again and was told that we were good to go for the packers to come on Tuesday. That would be today. Since I am sitting here in my dining room at my normal computer desk typing a blog post, it would seem there may have a been some kind of glitch. That would be correct.


On Monday a representative from the Army called and informed us that the company they had contracted for our move had cancelled us over the weekend and did not inform the Army until Monday morning. The day before the packers were to arrive. After Drew had been assured on Friday that all was on schedule. Our lease is up and utilities are scheduled to be shut off on the 30th of this month. The Army scrambled and now there is someone new scheduled to come on the 30th to start packing our stuff and get it on a truck to Kentucky.


Nothing like planning ahead and then having that plan yanked out from under you.


The really cool thing is that I didn’t panic when I got the phone call yesterday. A few years ago, I would have been in a full blown panic. I wasn’t happy about it, we have had to make some major reshuffles in our plans, but I wasn’t panicked. Thanks be to God for the heart work He has done in me over the years in this regard. I keep reminding myself that He is in control and it’s going to be okay. And it is.


I know that I belong to Christ, and He has a plan for my life and all things will work together for good and for His glory. I also am learning that when I keep my mind fixed on Him, He keeps me in perfect peace. So, I’m learning to hold my plans lightly. Make plans, yes, but hold lightly and trust Him to guide us through it. And that’s a good place to be.

3 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

How frustrating! Control? Order? Unfamiliar with both--but like you am so grateful that my plans are not sovereign! Blessings to you in this new adventure!

Laura said...

As frustrating as moving can be, it has to be encouraging to see that you're learning the lessons God has been teaching you over the years =). I hope the rest of your move goes far more smoothly!

Carla Rolfe said...

It really is amazing to be in a situation where in the past you would have reacted a certain way, but now you react in a much better way. I've been in that situation a lot over of the last couple of years and it never ceases to amaze me the work God has done, and keeps doing. It just warms your heart doesn't it? :o)