Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Forty is Not a Bad Word

Psalm 139:1-6
1 O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.

Though "40" seems a surreal number to apply to myself, that day has come, and it is today. Some women get all morose about that number. I don't think I'm one of them. Today, I am thankful that it is the anniversary of the day the LORD chose to give me breath, as someone reminded me. I am so thankful for the 40 years He has given me, and even more thankful that in His amazing grace He has chosen to allow me to walk so many of them with Him, saved by His grace, forgiven because of His blood shed for me, growing in His grace, surrounded by His mercy, blessed to be hid in Christ, belonging to Him for His glory. With such high and wonderful thoughts, how could "40" be anything less than joyful today? Thank You, my Jesus, for another day, and another birthday, at that.


3 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday! I'm not quite 40 yet, but I am grateful for the small evidences that some of my years have led to gains in my maturity and wisdom, as they certainly have for you. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Lisa Spence said...

Forty is NOT a bad word! Neither is FORTY-THREE for that matter! :)

Pam said...

Happy birthday! Forty isn't bad at all. : )