Saturday, January 21, 2012

Interesting Discussion About Postmodernism

This audio link is interesting, enlightening and, I'll admit it - disturbing. It really explains why I get so extremely frustrated with conversations I've had or comment threads I read on blogs with people who are steeped in this worldview, most without really even thinking about it.  As Dr. Mohler points out, it may not exist in full-blown form in the larger culture, but it is trickling down....and this speech was made in 2007, so I think it's obvious that it has trickled even more into the culture at large in the past few years. Postmodernism is pervasive and heartbreaking, a rehashing of the oldest lie there is - an attack on objective truth. To my Christian friends, please pay careful attention to his discussion about 1/3 of the way in to how it even infects our thinking in our circles.  I agree with him. And listen to his point about the dominion of therapy: "Everything is reduced to the therapeutic. This worldview infects the entire society. It's all about therapy. When truth is denied all that remains is therapy. The crucial question shifts from, 'What is true?' to 'What makes me feel good?'" If that isn't an ominous picture of our culture and a glorification of the self-centeredness and rebellion toward God that we are bent with innately, I don't know what is. I think you could make the argument that Postmodernism and the denial of objective truth leads to the kind of wrong-headed and dangerous foolishness seen in this article. Like I said, heartbreaking.

No comments: