Thursday, February 23, 2012

Half Full or Half Empty?


I’m not sure I’ve ever really understood the glass half full - glass half empty comparison and how it demonstrates whether one is a pessimist or an optimist. Until now. I get it now.
My husband is away for a few months for some training for his job in the Army. He got to come home last weekend, and it was so nice to have him home after being away so long already. We got to thinking that he’s halfway done now. You’d think that would sound like a good thing, but it actually made me really depressed. Halfway meaning that for how long he’s already been gone, he still has that much more to go. Seems like forever. 
Does that make me a pessimist?
And why is it that whenever he’s gone, minor crises tend to feel like big enough things to leave me in a puddle of tears in the floor. Yeah, I do that sometimes. I also cry out to God in those moments and cling tightly to His word, but I have to tell you that working through the first part to get to the really, truly, absolutely trusting and believing that His grace is sufficient isn’t all that pretty sometimes.
So, maybe whether the glass is half full or half empty is actually irrelevant. I may be a pessimist by nature, but I'm a redeemed one by the power of Jesus Christ, who can, by faith, trust my Savior, my Great Shepherd, to carry this wandering sheep of a self away from the edge of the pit where I'm teetering and put my feet on the solid ground and set my eyes back on my Redeemer. The emotions can follow, but here I stand, trusting in His grace. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I loved it, and I needed that today. Thank you =) Lesia