Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Some Thoughts, A Book, A Song, and A Prayer

Reading Proverbs today, this verse stood out to me: 

Proverbs 28:26 “Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.”

I believe some of the most dangerous advice dished out by our culture, especially in things aimed at children, is to follow your heart.  It’s the gospel of Disney, if you will. You also hear it expressed as, “follow your truth.” This is dangerous, because our hearts, in our natural state, are deceitful and desperately wicked. Things that seem right to us, quite often are treacherously wrong. That’s expressed in another Proverb, by the way. Proverbs 14:12 says, “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” I must, must, must know, trust, believe, and obey God’s Word, not look to my own heart or understanding as my guide.  What I think and feel can deceive if my thoughts, feelings, and conscience are not informed deeply by God’s Word. His Word is truth. He will sanctify us in the truth.  I know this, because Jesus prayed for it in John 17. 

This is why that verse in Proverbs 3:5-7 that is so well known, but I wonder how well we actually follow it, is so important to ponder deeply and apply. It says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.  Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and turn away from evil.” This is the opposite of ‘follow your heart.” When my heart seeks after the things the world values and when my heart is convinced that what God’s Word calls evil is good or that what God’s Word calls good is evil, I must trust God’s Word, not my heart. I must be seeking first HIS kingdom, not my ‘truth.’  My one aim must be seeking HIS truth and living in its light, and loving Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength who died and rose again to reconcile me to Himself and enable me to die to myself and die to my sin and to live to love Him in spirit and and in truth. 

I’ve been thinking on these things in light of a book I’m reading, called Growing up Christian by Karl Gaustein with Mark Jacobsen. This is a wonderful tool, first for me as an adult who grew up as a ‘church kid,’ as I’m reminded how very grateful I am for the blessing of growing up in the home I did where my parents lovingly taught me God’s Word and modeled for me what it is to love Him, and how very grateful I am that God brought me through the navigation of the many dangers, too, and allowed me to emerge believing and growing in Christ, for granting me a faith that is real and alive. I am looking forward to sharing this book with my children, too, who are no longer little ones, but with one in college, one in high school, and one in middle school, they are people who have grown up as ‘church kids’ with all the blessings and dangers, too. May they learn to appropriate the faith as their own, to learn not to be complacent, to learn to trust God’s Word, not their own hearts, and see how amazing the grace of God that has been showered on us all truly is.

I called my parents the other day and tearfully thanked them for raising me as they did, and tearfully confessed how selfish I was as a young adult, not fully realizing how much they loved me. As the parent of a college aged young adult now, I see things I just did not see then, and I’m so grateful I had the opportunity to see and thank God for the blessing of growing up in a Christian home, for the grace of saving faith, and for my parents’ love. I’m also thankful for their grace-filled response to my tears when I talked to them the other day. 

I listened to this song by Andrew Peterson this morning, and though I’m pretty sure I’ve probably shared it before, I just love this song, especially as I watch my children grow older. He captures well that tug in the heart as we learn to let them go as they grow. I do pray they will know the joy of trusting God with all their hearts as they grow into the adults they will be. 



Here are some scriptures I am using to inform my prayers for my children as they enter the confusing and challenging worlds of middle school, high school, and young adulthood: 

Jude 24-25 “Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time, and now and forever. Amen.”

Philippians 1:9-11 “And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.”

Philippians 4:8-9 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” 

Proverbs 29:25 “The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is safe.”

Proverbs 28:26 “Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.”

Proverbs 9:10 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.”

Psalm 119:9 “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.”

Proverbs 4:23 “Keep your heart with all vigilance for from it flow the springs of life.”

Proverbs 23:15-18 “My son, if your heart is wise, my heart too will be glad. My inmost being will exult when your lips speak what is right.  Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the LORD all the day.  Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off.” 


How I pray that where we have been faithful, God will continue to embed the truth in their hearts, and yet, where we have been inconsistent, that God may have mercy and teach them to love Him in spite of our failings. He is a gracious and merciful Savior, and He is mighty to save! 



No comments: