Monday, March 23, 2020

Status Update - Monday, March 23, 2020

I used to do these fairly regularly back during the old blogging days when it was more of a circle of blogging friends rather than me over here typing away in my neglected little corner of the internet by my lonesome, but I thought I might drag it back out to help me start blogging more, so here goes…..

Sitting….in my den, seeing as we are pretty much confined to our homes for a while with this lockdown/quarantine/ what do we call this? and it is raining outside so we can’t even go out for a walk right now.

Drinking….hot tea, or at least I will be in a few minutes once the kettle whistles, Irish Breakfast Tea in my Disney “MOM” mug with my oh-so-cute little kitty cat steeper.  I have given up coffee since the last time I wrote one of these.  Shocking, I know, to not be one of those talking about my coffee and PJ’s in our national time of forced rest and staying home.  I found that it gives me really bad heartburn, and funny enough, once I quit, I completely lost my taste for it.  I mean COMPLETELY.  I tried to drink some the other day and I just did not like it anymore.  That was weird.  I wish my taste for sugar would fade as easily.  But I’m glad for tea.  I still very much like that, and I’m rediscovering just how much I do.



Snacking….on nothing right now.  It’s almost lunch time, and I’m in that perpetual quest to eat healthier, so I’m watching what I snack on.

Reading….The Grapes of Wrath. I’m about 73% finished, and I was already in the midst of it when this shut down happened, and I’m finding it’s pretty heavy reading while in the midst of this unprecedented situation we find ourselves in.  I’m pretty sure I read it years ago, but I don’t remember ever writing any papers on it, so I must not have read is as a required thing for school but maybe by choice.  I didn’t remember much about it, but snippets seem familiar.  It is so well-written, and I am very much enjoying reading it this time around, even though it’s heavy, I see why it is a classic.  Speaking of reading, I’m very thankful for the library’s Overdrive system and Amazon and my Kindle. In these days of shutdown, it’s nice to be able to put books on hold and check them out digitally. 

Thinking…..about a lot of things, but not very cohesively.  I’m finding it hard to concentrate, and I think one solution may be to put my phone in another room so I’m not tempted to pick it up and scroll social media without thinking.

Thankful…..about so very many things.  One thing I’ll focus on here today is technology.  We got to worship with our church family via live stream yesterday, and while it is terribly far from being as satisfying as face-to-face and embodied fellowship, I am thankful we got to participate, and I'm thankful for the beautiful encouragement to turn our attention to our Savior through worshipful music, prayer, and scripture reading and sermon. And our women’s Bible study is going to attempt some video conferencing software to try to meet together virtually this week, and that could be good, too.   

From our women’s study in Romans, here are some anchor truths to comfort us today: Romans 8:31-35 “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died - more than that, who was raised - who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?”  


Happy Monday, y’all.  (I say “y’all” like anyone is even still ever reading this, but if you are, welcome). Stay well in these crazy days. 

1 comment:

Gerald Cook said...

Good blog posst