Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Love of Books

There is something so rewarding about teaching a child to read. Tic Tac and I are working through a book that just makes that task so easy. I love it when the lightbulb goes on and he realizes he's actually reading words. I remember that when Monk and I worked through the same book, and now he's a great reader - actually enjoys books so much he'll stay up late to read a chapter or two (just like his mommy!). I feel so guilty that I waited this long to do this with Tic Tac. I really meant to teach him last year while he was in pre-K, but I was so pregnant and tired and he was so not interested at the time. I know that early readers tend to do better in school even later on, so I hope I haven't waited too long for him. But he's very excited about it now. We figured out that by the end of December we'll have finished the book and he'll be reading on a strong second grade level, and that is motivating to him. He just realized he'll be reading like his brother. Being a book fiend myself, I'm so thrilled to see my kids get excited about reading. Even Boo is in on the act - she was holding a book this afternoon and chewing on it. Hey, baby steps right? She loves to sit in my lap and let me read to her. And the coolest thing is to see her older brother reading to her. The boys really enjoyed the Summer Reading program at the library last summer, and I'm so encouraged that Tic Tac will actually be able to do some of his own reading next summer. Now if we could just get him interesting in his writing skills, too - though he's doing much better with that too. In fact, I'm amazed at how just going to school and being around other kids has so helped him to get interested in all these things. I could have tried until I was blue in the face to interest him, but it's taken being around peers who are able to read and write to light the fire under him. Whatever it takes!

No comments: