Thursday, November 09, 2006

Washed

Why is it that people who are virulently anti-Christian think that the strongest insult they can hurl at us who do believe in Christ is that we're brainwashed? I've had people say that to me before when their perception of me being a "goody-two-shoes" rained on their parade - not because I was trying to impose anything on them, but because they just didn't like that I wouldn't participate in whatever it was they were doing right then. My husband had a client at work yesterday say that he was a brainwashed fundamentalist bigot. If you know my husband in real life, you know how funny that is. All because this person was loudly bemoaning the fact that the "fundamentalist bigots" voted for a defense of marriage amendment for our state and it passed Tuesday. Though my husband wasn't trying to be drawn into the argument, the man figured out that he is one who voted for the amendment and just went off on him about how he thinks those of us who believe the Bible are brainwashed. Some of Hubby's coworkers later told him that this man is like this with everyone and is always trying to get a rise out of people.

Well, for one thing, I feel sorry for someone who is that angry that he has to spew venom on everyone. For another thing, I feel sorry for him that he can't see the beautiful truth of God's Word. Having been accused of being brainwashed in the past myself, I'd like to take a different view of that than the insulters meant. Look at 1 Corinthians 6:11 for a moment. After a long list of behaviors and sinful lifestyles that will not inherit the kingdom of God, Paul says: "And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." Since being washed means being made right with God, I say, "Hallelujah, Amen!" So, sure, I've been brainwashed. I've been given a new mind, new desires, freedom from the bondage of sin. Hallelujah, praise Jesus for that washing. I join Peter as he said when the Lord told him that if He did not wash his feet he would have no part with Him, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!" And again, in Revelation 1:5b-6 "To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."

Lord, may I never lose sight of the fact that I am a new creation because of the washing away of my sin by your precious blood. You are my God, and I will praise You. May I walk in a manner worthy of that washing. And I pray for that man that his eyes will be opened, for it is only by Your Spirit that he will be able to see the truth.

No comments: