Friday, February 22, 2008

Turning a Blah Day Into a Day of Praise

I am very much enjoying memorizing Psalm 103. I woke up tired, tired, tired, groggy and very stuffy-nosed this morning. Boo also woke up with nasty nose and general cruddiness. Couple that with the fact that it is rainy, gray, dismal and chilly - all day today, and it could be a very blah kind of day.

I have been making it a habit to go over in my mind and out loud the verses I have so far committed to memory each morning when I first wake up and am getting ready for the day. This morning, however, I was so tired and feeling so blah I just did not want to work on remembering. But I did it anyway. As I got in the shower this morning, I started going over Psalm 103:1-14 (which is how far I’ve gotten), and the most amazing thing happened. The more I thought about what I was saying, the more I began to wake up and realize this was not a day to grow weary in doing good, but it was an excellent day to press on. And as I rehearsed the words of Psalm 103 this morning, I began praying – for myself and for others, using the words of that Psalm. There is a family in my church who is facing a very severe trial, and I have been so burdened to pray for them, not being sure how to pray but knowing I needed to lift them to the Lord. As I was rehearsing the many benefits that Psalm 103 focuses on, I began asking God to crown this family with His lovingkindness and tender mercies. I love taking the Psalms and using the thoughts so beautifully expressed and turning them into my own prayers. So often when I do not have words to express what I desperately want to express to the Lord, I find that scripture comes to mind and I pray back His word to Him as I think about what those promises and blessings mean in each situation.

Did you know that cleaning bathrooms and mopping is much more fun when you can use that time to practice scripture memorization? It is! While mopping the floors this morning, I got to turn my mind again to the great blessings of the Lord. Drudgery faded into praise. That, in itself, is something to cause me to praise Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am finding the same thing happening in my heart as I rehearse the verses in the mornings. I'll have to try it while I'm doing some housework... ;)

I've gotten really choked up this week, too. Most of the verses are about how God removes our sin far far far far away from us, and about his compassion for "those who fear him." It's been a great reminder this week to really think about what it means to be forgiven and to live a holy life now that I fear him.

Lisa Spence said...

What power in the Word of God!

Rebekah said...

"It's been a great reminder this week to really think about what it means to be forgiven and to live a holy life now that I fear him."

I thought that this week, too. There have been lots of times I've just stopped and thanked Him again for His forgiveness and mercy.