Friday, March 14, 2008

The Denim Blues Lament

Though this little gripe is really quite trivial
My words on this subject may not be convivial
My comment to those who design our blue jeans:
I know fashions change, but I’m just not that lean
I see people seem to like the stretch denim fad
But they are plain uncomfortable, more than a tad!
Provide the stretch jean if you must,
But would it make your business go bust
To also make jeans of old fashioned denim?
There used to be some that I could fit in ‘em
I’ve grown quite fond of my faded blue jeans
However, they’ve worn rather thin at the knees
Now that they have started to tear
I’ve been shopping for comfortable jeans to wear
But every place I have searched far to near
The only kind to be found are too tight in the rear!
These hips will never be as small as they were
Those days are long gone, only seen as a blur
Perhaps I just cannot keep up with the trends
But please bring back jeans made from soft cotton blends!
And another thing while I am griping away
What’s with the low waistlines these days, anyway?
Not all of us wish everyone to see our panties or navel
Please bring back comfortable waists, if you’re able
Modesty is harder and harder to find
Designers, you’re being most unkind
To those of us who don’t like our pants quite so tight,
This stretch denim phase is truly a fright,
And also to we who aren’t built like Barbie dolls
That would be most of us walking the store’s halls!
Sometimes I question our collective fashion sanity
Uncomfortable clothes all in the name of vanity.
And now I really must end this rhyme
I think I’ve wasted quite enough time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was great! :)

You definitely covered the experience of shopping for jeans...which is probably why, when I actually do find a pair that is decent, I tend to hold on to them until they literally fall apart in my hands! :)

And, I have to agree...I do not wish to see everyone's underwear, nor do I wish them to see mine! (After all, it is called UNDERwear for a reason...right?!)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Hysterical -- even though I love my jeans with a little stretch. My post-baby body demands that my denim give a little.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is excellent!

Lisa Spence said...

I love your poems and I answer this one with a hearty amen! I dreamed just last night that something happened to one pair of my jeans; it was pretty traumatic as I gave away all extraneous, non fitting pairs and now I only have two!