Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rebekah Sweet Tea's Expanded Practical Mom's Dictionary, Installment #2

Patience: 9. Playing Monopoly with my sons. It’s an experience, let me tell you. Thank you, Dad, for playing with them last night! My mom and dad came into town yesterday afternoon for a visit, and the boys have been so excited!
(For 1-8 see this post)

Adorable: Boo stretching out her arms for Grandma to pick her up and love on her.

Pesky: As soon as the weather is pleasant, the stinging marsh gnats come out. They are everywhere when it is between 60-80 degrees, just when it would be so nice to sit outside on the porch or the yard and enjoy being in the fresh air.

Irritating: 1. Having a song get stuck in my head – usually it is just one phrase of a really annoying song, too.
2. Oldest son is playing the recorder in music at school….need I say more?

Heartstopping: Seeing blood flowing from my 22-month-old’s forehead.

Relief: Finding that the cut was not all that deep after all.

Reprieve: The orthodontist says neither boy needs anything done right now – but he wants to see them again next year, sooner for the younger if he starts getting more adult teeth on the bottom before then.

Smart: Sending the boys outside to play – it is just too nice outside to let them drive me crazy while they are wrestling with loud, loud, loud voices in the living room.

Frustrating: Encouraging a squirrely six-year-old to do his homework when he would much rather be wrestling his brother very loudly in the living room.

Futile: Sweeping leaves off the porch when the wind is gusty. Ten leaves swept off, twenty more blew on.

Pond water or a herd of turtles: How fast the boys move in the morning when they would much rather stay under the covers and sleep a little longer.

Heartwarming: Youngest son thinks his daddy is his hero. He wrote a paragraph for school about it. The words say: My hero is my dad. Because he helped me to bled my threhos. And he helps pepl in the hosptl. (Translation: My hero is my dad. Because he helped me to build my treehouse. And he helps people in the hospital.) Okay, he’s still working on learning to spell, but I thought that was just so sweet.

Here’s what the treehouse looks like:


Like the pirate flag?

4 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

What a great treehouse! I love your dictionary posts!

Anonymous said...

So sweet. I LOVE your definitions! What wonderful memories.

Kelly said...

Wonderful and original!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this -- made me smile. Great post!!