Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Recommended Reading

I'd like to recommend this link from Albert Mohler about why the Creation-Evolution debate is so important.

Earlier this week I read the post from BioLogos to which Dr. Mohler is responding here. The quote at the end that Dr. Mohler says he will let speak for itself was one I noticed with incredulity also. Just wow. I am not a 'follower' of Albert Mohler, John MacArthur, or whoever. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. But I do respect men like Mohler and MacArthur in so far as they are willing to stand on the authority of God's word.

It is not because I've been swayed by men like Mohler and MacArthur that I believe in the biblical creation account. The reverse is true. I respect what they say because they are committed to a worldview that places God's word as the highest authority to which we must answer. 'Science' is not infallible, no matter how much anyone may wish it to be so or no matter how often and loudly anyone may say it is. When you get to the question of origins, you are moving beyond science to faith, because it is not a repeatable, observable thing we can reconstruct. You either believe the Bible, or you don't, and really that's the issue. It all boils down to the starting presuppositions.

At the end of the day, I hardly think that God is displeased or dishonored if I take Him at His word. I do not have a problem believing that God created the world by speaking it into existence and in 6 days as He said in His word, but I am very aware that even being able to have that faith is by His grace alone, and I am eternally grateful.

No comments: