Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Trusting What is Real

Psalm 42:11
“Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.”

I need to memorize this verse and camp on it, I think. I’ve hit another of those slumps again that has lasted the past few days. I feel so guilty when these times come because I know in my head there is nothing in my life to be depressed or down about. I think I may just have to resign myself that as long as I walk this earth I may be prone to hormone drenched down times. Praise God that my feelings do not determine my standing in Christ. Nor should they dictate how I act. If I did not believe that God is sovereign, there are days I’m not so sure I’d be able to get up in the morning. I get into these blue fogs where I just cannot wrap my mind around even the smallest things that must be done that day.

But He is sovereign. And I don’t have to get moving in my own strength. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Feelings will come and go, ebb and flow – usually with no real bearing on my actual surroundings. Feelings come and go, but our God never changes. He is ever faithful and His word is true. I have been redeemed and cleansed with the precious blood of Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but He who lives in me. May I run well the race He sets before me.

Lord, take my eyes off of me, me, me and fix them on You alone. That is the antidote to feelings. Grant me the will and strength to do what You have for me to do, and help me to step out in faith and obey, no matter how foggy-brained I may feel.

Christ is my all in all. He is my strength. He will clear the fog in my brain and give me the resources to get done what needs to be done today. I trust Him. I hope in God. He is the help of my countenance – I fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith.

Amen. What a Savior. He is Lord, my incomprehensible feelings are not. He is sovereign, my feelings do not dictate who I am as an adopted child of the King.

All praise to the risen Lamb, the King, Jesus.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your writing about this. Like you, I have absolutely nothing to be "down" about, however, I still get down from time to time without any real reason. Have you ever read John Piper's book When the Darkness Will Not Lift?

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. Thanks for your thoughts.

Bea~working to help women reclain their dignity and dollars!
www.pinktruth.com

Lisa Hellier said...

Be encouraged, friend. The fact that you take your feelings straight to His word is its own precious gem in a world where otherwise the feelings just run wildly rampant and ramshackle. As you turn to Him in these down times, may He be the lifter of your head!

Mayhem And Miracles said...

I just found your blog through LIFESONG and I love it. I read your 100 Things About Me post and I am shocked at how much we have in common. I will be back often, I'm sure. And on today's post, you posted what I think a lot of us go through but haven't worded quite so eloquently. I do hope you can get some quiet time with the Lord. That's the surest antidote, huh? But often hard for busy moms to pull off.

Lisa Spence said...

Know that you are not alone...I was just thinking this morning about Paul's imperative to "Rejoice" and the fact that it is a command means I choose it, not that I wait to feel it.

YET I will praise Him!