Monday, April 23, 2007

Fix Our Eyes On Jesus

Hebrews 12:1-2
“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

As we run with endurance, it is on Jesus that we must fix our eyes. He alone is our strength and sure foundation. As much as I am thankful for the good Bible teachers and preachers that God raises up who will unashamedly teach the Word of God as opposed to questioning it or saying we cannot understand it, my eyes must not be fixed on those people. While it is good, even necessary and vital, to sit under sound biblical teaching, I must never blindly accept the word of man, no matter who he is, if that word does not line up with the scripture. People will undoubtedly disappoint me, but it is unto Jesus that I must be looking. God has given us perfect revelation of Himself in the person of Christ Jesus, and this we learn by searching the scriptures and trusting Him in faith.

We must be looking to Jesus at all times, not only when we happen to think of it. If we are to grow in sanctification, our focus must be daily, moment by moment, on our Lord and Savior. Only by the power of the Holy Spirit in us can we do this. My nature is not to seek Him first. But oh, how I want it to be. May I learn to fix my eyes on Jesus, looking unto Him even as I wash the dishes, clean the house, care for the children, run errands around town, interact with my neighbors – whatever there is to do each day – I want to be looking unto Jesus, with focused attention, as a marathon runner nearing the final feet of his race fixes his eyes on the tape at the end of the track while he presses on through the exertion and exhaustion to the joy and goal of a race run well. Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, my Redeemer, who has ransomed me from the filth and shame of my sin, is worthy of all praise. I want to lay aside every weight, learning not to allow anything to distract me, and run the race with endurance, living a life of praise, worship, and obedience for His glory alone.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Rebekah, I found your blog through Kim’s link @ Upward Call. Your post on Fixing Our Eyes on Jesus is excellent! I was wondering if it would be okay if I linked to this post and your blog on my blog. I have been writing some thoughts on these verse also. I appreciate the seriousness in your words and how the Lord is at the center of many of your post. I plan to visit here often. Blessings, Terri
BTW, I am a transplant from Virginia and have a lot of family all along the East coast down into Florida. I still consider that area home.

Rebekah said...

Hi, Terri! Feel free to link to this post or blog if you wish. I checked out your blog, and I'm looking forward to spending more time there, as well. Thanks so much for your encouraging comment.