Saturday, September 19, 2009

Heart Music

Philippians 2:3-4
“Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.”

This is a principle I am constantly trying to teach my children. While in the trenches of the tyranny of the every day, there are lots of times when I find myself discouraged and wondering if they will ever get it. Some mornings I feel more like referee than mom, and there have been times I’ve been reduced to tears, wondering if I am a colossal failure as a parent. I want to train them up in the way they should go and I want to be a faithful woman who does not lose her temper sinfully, but many days, I fail and fail largely. I have to confess and apologize often.

But there are blessed times, too, when I am given a glimpse into their hearts and I am amazed at the kindness they can show to each other. They are getting it, and I thank God for the times He allows me to see it. At those times I thank my Lord that He is more than able to overcome my failings and teach their hearts by His grace and mercy.

As I was sitting here at the computer, I was listening to all three kids playing downstairs. Boo got frustrated about the toy she was playing with and tears and wailing were beginning to ensue. She is three and giving up her afternoon nap. Frustration is a daily, yea, momentary state with her these days. This time when she began to wail, however, I heard her brother, M, gently say, “Here, R….., let me help you,” and she calmed down. When she became frustrated again only a moment later, he again stopped what he was doing and gently helped her.

This set off a symphony of thankfulness and wonder in my heart as I listened to my son so tenderly look out for his little sister, with no prompting or intervention from me or his dad. He just showed her love.

Thank You, Lord, for this glimpse that he is learning it!

No comments: