Monday, October 19, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things

In honor of this gloriously beautiful Fall day, here are a few of my favorite things about the Fall:

Pumpkins – as decoration, in pie, as inspiration for pumpkin spice lattes and teas, pretty much in any form

My oldest son’s birthday

Crunching acorns – I got to introduce my boys to that joy on the way home from school today

Cooler weather

The crisp, almost indescribable feeling in the air

College football – it helps that we have a winning team. Go Gators!

High school football – such wonderful memories of Friday night football games and marching band, blazingly hot in wool uniforms in central Florida (hello? Wool uniforms? Really? I remember smelling like a goat after Friday night football. How we cherished those free Cokes after the half time show. But for the few cold games, I remember them not being quite warm enough. But the fun and camaraderie of marching band was not to be beat. It was worth it all. Hooray for the Marching Mustangs! Good memories.

Beautiful colored leaves – I love how Boo has to collect “bootiful” handfuls of leaves whenever we go outside.

Crunching through the leaves

All the colors and smells and tastes of fall – smoke from fireplaces on those evenings when it’s cool enough, spices from pumpkin pie cooking in the oven, chili simmering on the stove….Fall is a cornucopia of delights for the senses

Corn mazes

Hay rides

Bonfires

Scarecrows

Thanksgiving

The anticipation of the glitter and wonder of Christmas (coupled with the struggle not to experience Christmas overload before December even gets here from all the commercialization that starts way, way, way too early these days)

The opportunity to talk to my children about our awesome Creator God who gave us the blessing of all these things.

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Happy blogoversary!

Carla Rolfe said...

Those are many of my favorite fall things as well. It's funny but every once in a while in the fall, I get a brief sensation, just for a half a second maybe, of how I felt as a little girl when summer came to a close and fall settled in.

Cooler weather, fall leaves and the eager anticipation and the wonder and magical feeling of Christmas being just around the corner! Reading your post today caused me to feel this way again, so thank you for that.
:-)

As an added bonus, Dairy Queen has Pumpkin Pie Blizzards! I think I'll go buy my 6 yr old and myself one today.