Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Fear of the LORD

Proverbs 1:7
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction."

I believe it is very important to teach our children a reverent fear and awe of God. While Jesus is our greatest friend, and those who are washed in His blood can boldly approach the throne of God, He is not our buddy. I see and hear a lot of talk about Jesus that really borders on the irreverent and flippant at times, and this is by people who say they believe in Him. Though I have great joy, peace, and comfort in knowing that I can approach Him confidently and that my assurance rests in Him, we are wise to keep in our attitude a sense of reverence and awe before Him. So, we need to spend some time thinking on God's holiness.

We'll also be reviewing Proverbs 19:11 from last week with the kids, because, I confess, I didn't spend as much time on this with them as I would have liked with Hubby out of town until yesterday. That's no excuse, but that's what happened, nonetheless.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sigh...this is SO true, and the teaching materials used by most American churches doesn't help much. (We keep thinking finding a church would be easier if we weren't responsible for what little eye and ears would see and hear!)

Keep on pressing on...you and D are raising them on the truth.

Rebekah said...

Isn't it sad that we have to guard their eyes and ears from things taught at church?? I get tired of having to undo wrong teaching the kids have heard at church sometimes. I expect to have to talk them through some things with school, but, sadly, our church ought to be a safer haven than we often find it to be.

Thanks for the encouragement, Heather. I feel like such a failure sometimes - I know we need to be teaching them, but we just fall so short too often.