Friday, May 18, 2007

Being Aware, But Not Fearful

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling.

There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God,
The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High,
God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;
God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
He uttered His voice, the earth melted.

The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge.

Come, behold the works of the LORD,
Who has made desolations in the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two,
He burns the chariot in the fire.

Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge.

I heard something this week that has spurred me on to pray with more urgency. I don't necessarily endorse everything Focus on the Family says and does, but their broadcasts this week were sobering and informative regarding a very real threat that people in the free world face and that our media and leaders are not honestly addressing. If you get the chance, the daily broadcasts from this week are worth hearing.

I agree with what Michael Youssef said on the Wednesday broadcast that the only real answer and only hope to these concerns is real revival. I believe this is true with regard to the topic that the broadcasts this week address, but also with regard to what we see happening in our churches today with people sitting in the pews not really having a clue what they believe, so being ripe for deception.

May we who love Christ be on our knees, repenting and praying for revival. I confess that listening this past week to these broadcasts I have been tempted to fear. I also don't believe that America has any guarantee of special protection or blessing, so my confidence is not in my country and this world, but in my God. Whatever happens to my country, God is in control. I know that no matter what is happening, Jesus warned us to look up when we see these things begin to happen. Whether the Lord returns today or years from now, He is sovereign. He is in control. His plan is in motion. He is not surprised by any of what is happening today - not the global wars and looming wars, and not the apostacy and false teaching flooding into the church. None of it is a surprise to Him or outside of His sovereignty. And at the end of the end times, every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. It is all ultimately for His glory alone. We do not fear man. I pray that those of us who have eyes to see will bow and pray and repent and seek God for revival. I’m praying for the strength and conviction to stand firm, no matter what the future holds. We need to get about the business of worshiping our Lord and really knowing what we believe so that we can give a defense to anyone who asks about the hope that is in us with gentleness and reverence and fear for our God.

1 comment:

AJ said...

I listened all week to focus as well. Very sobering. Eye-opening, but you are right....this is not for us to fear! We have been called to prayer.

I sure am.