Thursday, May 31, 2007

Taking a Personal Moment to Reflect

Psalm 139:14-16
“I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.”

Psalm 139:23-24
“Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.”


I am 36 years old today. Thirty-six. One year closer to 40. I’m closer to 40 now than I am to 30. I don’t get too hung up on age, but 36 is a funny number for me. For some reason, the year my mom turned 36 was the first year I remember knowing and thinking about her age on her birthday. I remember making her a card that year. And for years afterward I always thought of her as being 36. She stayed that age in my mind for a long time. I don’t know why. Thirty-six seemed such a long way off for me then. And I thought my Mom and Dad knew everything.

And now here I am at 36. Amazing that I don’t feel I know much of anything. Especially as a parent. I feel often that I’m flying by the seat of my pants and learning as I go along and hoping I don’t mess up my kids too badly when I make mistakes. I guess my parents probably felt much the same way. And by God’s grace they were (and still are!) good parents. I’m thankful for them. I’m thankful I can still talk to them, get advice, and, most importantly, discuss the things of the Lord with them. What a blessing.

When I was younger, I got a little annoyed when people would tell me how time would fly when I got older. I just wanted high school to hurry up and be over, and it seemed such a long way off. And now, here I am, and it’s been 14 years since I graduated from college! How is that possible? Now I’m the annoying one telling people how much time will fly when they get older. As a kid, the months between birthdays seemed to take forever. Now, it’s a blink and I’m another year older.

And my kids! How in the world are they growing up so fast? I want to enjoy them. I don’t want to allow myself to get so swamped in getting through the everyday stuff (or so involved in blogging, perhaps??) that I don’t take time to imprint this time in my memory and spend quality, quantity time listening to my kids and investing time and energy and love in them. I want to love and cherish them now, before they are grown.

And my sweet husband. What a good man he is. He is so incredibly patient with me. I don’t think I’m all that easy to live with, but he loves me and shows it in so many ways. There’s a little more gray in his hair than when I met him, and sometimes I wonder if I’m helping put it there! What a blessing to grow in grace alongside this man as we, together, grow closer to Christ and grow as parents. He’s really my best friend, and I am truly thankful for him. I love you, D.

I pray that however many more years the Lord grants me here that I will be a good steward of the time I’m given. May I learn more to live a life of praise for the glory of my Savior. May I share my love for Jesus with my children, my husband, my family, my church and with others. Jesus is the center and Lord of my life, and I want the days of my life to be lived for His glory that I may reflect Him to others. I have been so very blessed.

Thank You, God, for saving me and keeping me. Let me live sold out to You. Fill me and use me and let my life be a symphony of praise to You, for You are the only One who matters most. Thank You for another year of life. Help me to be a blessing to my family, my church and anyone You put in my life, and let me sing Your praise faithfully all the days of my life.

12 comments:

Heather said...

Happy, happy birthday!

Lisa Hellier said...

I had forgotten that both our birthdays and ages were so close. Mine is next Tuesday. I'll be 37. I clearly hear your heart on the time issues. I don't want my days to have anxiety for what I'm missing, what I'm doing or not doing--rather that they would be a daily walk of trust and belief.

Happy Birthday, Rebekah!

Mindy said...

How sweet this is!
And I hope you have very happy birthday!

Connie said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...!!!!! :-)

Not sure we ever "feel" our age!! I was visiting with my 74 yo mother yesterday and she said there is still a "young woman" inside of her trying to get out!! I love it!

Enjoy your day!!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your reflections on your birthday. I hope you have a very blessed day!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, friend! :) I love your reflections and share so many of those thoughts! Have a wonderful day today!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful prayers along with your anxieties. I am also 36 and I agree, where has the time gone? But from an elderly perspective, or an eternal one, we are so young. You have the right idea. Enjoy. Love. Appreciate.

Happy Birthday.

Diane said...

Happy Birthday!

Drew said...

Your husband is very blessed to have such a wonderful 36 year-old wife! He should buy you a very nice Birthday present to take your mind off of it!

Lisa Spence said...

Happy birthday! For me, it was hard when I turned 37. Birthdays had never bothered me, but something about being in my "late 30s" affected me! It's a funny sensation, as I still feel 27! Hope your day was blessed--I am thankful for you!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday, Rebekah!!

Yes, you are getting closer to 40, but you know turning 40 can be really exciting. It was for me. There is a certain freedom as we get older. We are farther and farther removed from the things in our past that hung us up. As we get older, I think we learn to better let go of things that don't need to be held on to. I'm getting more flexible as I get older, which is good. Yet, I'm also learning more and more about God at the same time.

Many birthday blessings to you!

C.T. Lillies said...

I can completely understand that one. Where did the time go?

Hmmm...

Josh
"...the word of God is not bound."
--2 Timothy 2:9