Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Random Thoughts From Yesterday and Today

A medium diet cherry Coke from Sonic makes a very large, sticky puddle on the floor. BUT I am thinking not as sticky as it would have been if I had gotten regular Coke instead of diet! Hooray!

Having all my baby-friendly plastic dishes in a low, baby’s level cabinet is a good idea for multiple minutes of sheer exploratory fun, especially when she can climb all the way into the cabinet. (Short attention span at her age, minutes equals hours in "toddler time"…..)

Having my cleaning supplies in a low cabinet in my bathroom is not a good idea, because even if I am good about remembering to close the bathroom door, the boys don't always remember. Guess I'll be reorganizing the cleaning supplies during naptime today.

Praising my Savior is a blessing.

Blogging friends can be very encouraging.

Attitude is important.

I am thankful to have a car to drive. Though the van is being temperamental and I won't have time and someone to follow me to the place to have it checked out until Saturday, Drew's car is working and I'm thankful to have it.

Getting a good haircut and having a light-hearted conversation with the stylist who has been cutting my hair the whole (almost) four years we’ve lived here is nice.

Boo really, really enjoys walking around the dentist’s waiting room while her brothers are having their six-month check-ups. She was cackling, loudly, at her reflection in a mirrored cabinet they had there. In fact, she got so loud, and was having such a good time that when she tripped over her own feet and landed flat on her face, hard, on the floor, she was much perturbed. So perturbed I found it expedient to take her into the outer part of the waiting room so she would not be a nuisance to the office staff who were on the phone until I was called back to hear what the dentist had to say about the boys’ check-ups.

The words, “No cavities,” are downright musical. The words, “I’m giving you a referral to an orthodontist to have both boys evaluated,” do not have nearly the same musical quality.

Listening to your oldest son talk to his grandparents on the phone for 30 minutes is a very sweet thing.

Preparing for your son’s birthday party can be really fun, especially designing your own invitations with pictures of Legos and seeing his eyes light up when he sees the finished project. Priceless. Oh, and writing out cute little poems for the clues for the treasure hunt on which he and his guests will embark at that party a week from Saturday was so incredibly fun last night. I can’t even tell you how much fun I had. Maybe when I blog about his party (you know I will) I’ll include my lame little poem clues then. I can’t wait for J to see them. (Oh, how I hope this party really happens! The past two years this poor kid’s birthday parties were a bust – one year due to a very untimely stomach bug and one year due to Mommy’s poor choice of party time on Saturday morning when all the invited guests had soccer games.)

The rain that looks to be settling in for the whole day has up and down sides. I sat in the church parking lot this morning listening to the end of John MacArthur’s sermon and the beginning of Chip Ingram’s while waiting for someone, anyone, to show up for our Wednesday Bible study. I didn’t want to haul Boo out in the rain if we were not going to end up staying. I finally pulled my car up close to the front door and knocked for the secretary and asked if our study had been cancelled and I hadn’t heard. Nope, just no one had shown up. I gave her the video and said that I would wait five more minutes then I was leaving, and at least the tape would be there for next week. As I was pulling out, one of the other young moms finally drove up, sorry to be so late, and as we talked we decided to just wait until next week since there was no one there to watch the kids anyhow. Sigh. BUT, that same rain that made driving around this morning difficult, I am saying prayers of thanks for anyway because an all day rain like this means NO FOOTBALL PRACTICE this afternoon!! The same kitchen that saw me in a heap of tears yesterday is now witnessing my dance of joy today. We so needed to not have to go to practice tonight.

Boo is so cute when she takes her blankie and puts it over her head while sitting in the carseat on the way home and falls asleep. Just a little pink “ghost” sitting back there when I looked back at her.

AND, I need to say a very humble, “Thank-you,” to Kim for the kindness she showed me on her blog. It is quite humbling to think that people actually read this blog and find it a blessing. That means so very much to me, because I do want it to reflect my love for Christ and encourage others to love Him and find their joy in Him, even in my more frustrated moments like earlier yesterday. So, thank you, Kim for the kind words and for being a blessing yourself. If you haven’t read Kim’s blog, you should visit her, she is a very encouraging person. I always have a hard time narrowing down who to pass these blog awards on to because so very many of the blogs I read demonstrate a passion for Christ and are a real blessing to read, so I may have to think about it for a little bit.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Ah, yes...orthodontia. Just praise the Lord that you're not trying to maintain treatment and relocate, too, because no one wants to finish anyone else's work in that field. We're currently stuck with an orthodontist I can't stand, simply b/c he's the only one who would finish up with Rachel. We're switching for the next two kids (sigh and sigh)...and are continually thankful for dental benefits!

Lisa Spence said...

Orthodontics...I feel your pain. We are in stage one. How many stages you ask? I don't know and at this point consider ignorance as bliss.

Emmy said...

Orthodontists are the ones who deal with improper bites, right? I don't think there's anything to worry about that. I'm sure that by now, your kids' teeth are healthy and positioned correctly. I had my daughter's teeth saved from malocclusions early because of her dentist. Here in Fayetteville, family dentistry not only aims to cure dental problems but also prevent them too. That's why it's important to have your kids' teeth checked and treated while they're young.