Monday, November 20, 2006

Update to Martha Monday

I'm not much of a decorator. I said I feel like Martha, but I didn't mean Martha Stewart. I don't think I've ever even bought drapes for the house; we've just sort of lived with what was already there. It's not that I don't want to, but, having me stay at home with the kids has meant that there usually isn't much extra cash in the bank account for non-essentials (diapers, food, and clothes being more important than nicer drapes and nick-knacks.) I'm not complaining, that's just how it is for this season. I'd rather have comfortable, hand-me-down furniture and sparse decorations with a mommy at home than a Southern Living style home with mommy at work and kids in day-care any day. You've heard of shabby chic decorating; I guess our style is shabby but nice enough. Even with extra cash, I'm not sure that I'd do too much differently. I just don't have the eye for decorating, and I'm not real crafty. In fact, I got so stressed out about my scrapbooking that I was waking up at night in a panic over how far behind I was getting and how uninspired I was to create beautiful layouts for it. I finally just bought some photo albums and put the pictures away in chronological order, and now I'm a much happier person. I call it the tyranny of the crafts. If Boo wants to make a scrapbook of all the pictures some day, she has my blessings to do so. Anyway, Tic Tac did a great job of helping us decorate for Thanksgiving this year. I just love the turkey he made for the front door! He has really gotten into the whole Thanksgiving thing since his teacher taught the class about the Pilgrims and Indians. He got really excited when we told him that he had an ancestor (on his daddy's side) who came over on the actual Mayflower! Yes, that makes this time of year extra special in our family to think I married a Pilgrim and we had little Pilgrim children.

Oh, and about that playroom that had me almost reduced to tears this morning? When Boo took a 2-hour nap this afternoon (that's right, little no-nap actually slept 2 whole hours this afternoon), I took a deep breath, waded in and straightened up the room. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought, and now that Hubby has brought home the groceries from my last minute list, I think we're actually ready for the company that will be coming tomorrow. I just hope that turkey does thaw before Thursday......

No comments: