Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Regular Blogging May Resume in a Few Days

Blog posts have been a little sporadic around here lately. I seem to be in one of those slumps that occur when I’m functioning on too little sleep. For the past 2 weeks, Boo has taken to waking up two or three times in the middle of the night and screaming for a while each time. I’ve gone and checked on her, and nothing is wrong that I can determine, she’s just awake and doesn’t want to be awake. We’ve turned off the baby monitor completely, because she’s loud enough that I hear her and wake up without it. It finally occurred to me last night that I had read once that some babies this age can be scared at night when it is too dark in their rooms, so I, not being a big night light fan, put on a little light in her room. Last night she woke up once, fussed a bit, went back to sleep, and slept on through the night. I’m hoping that is all she needed, for I’m slipping back into the kind of tired that I experienced when she was a newborn - that fuzzy-headed, can't think straight all day kind of tired.

I also am facing the dilemma that even when not writing on my blog, I am far too easily tempted to be drawn into the time-wasting computer black hole of reading blogs throughout the day. In fact, I find that I can while away much of the day surfing around on the computer, and this is too much of a distraction in my life. Too much that I need to be doing is not being done when I squander days like that.

And I finally made it back to the gym today, which I’m hoping will help me restore my physical energy. I know that the Bible says that bodily exercise profits little, so it’s not my end-all-be-all for sure, but when I let that go and spend too much time sitting at the computer instead, then I find I don’t have the energy physically to do what really does matter, so I’m glad to get back on track exercising a few days a week, too.

And, I also find that it is far, far too easy to spend vast quantities of time writing and reading about praying, reading my Bible, and praying for revival, but find that I am spending far, far too little time actually doing those things. Writing about them is fine, but only if that is overflow from what is actually going on in my heart and life. If all I’m doing is writing about it, then I’m a blatantly lazy, ineffective hypocrite and I might as well turn off the computer and hang it up. Which is why the posting has become a little more sporadic. I need to be spending more time praying, reading my Bible, spending quality time with my family and doing the things around the house that need doing and spending less time thinking about and writing and reading blogs – even though so many blogs are blessings to read. Just saying I need to regain a little perspective, that’s all.

So, I’m not actually quitting at this time, but I may be slowing down a bit. I’m sure there will be spurts of blog activity when I have something I just need to say, but I need to get away from the computer more and devote much more time to real life so that what I write will be more meaningful rather than just writing something just because I feel the tyranny of the blog that makes me think I need to write a new thing every single day. And I have two fairly lengthy posts that are currently sitting in my draft folder in Word on my computer that may never see the blog. Every time I think I’m ready to post them, there is a check in my spirit about why I want to post this particular topic that has been meaningful to me in my daily Bible reading. Until I have a peace that it is something I really need to post on the blog, perhaps it is just something that needs to stay in the personal journal for the moment. We’ll see. So, I’ve said all that to say that for the moment, I’m taking a little blog break for a day or two. That should give me time to re-evaluate why I blog in the first place and to just devote time to my real life that I have, sinfully and selfishly, been wasting. Perhaps once I’ve taken some time off, I’ll be refreshed to have a more balanced blogging perspective rather than the all-blogs, all-day approach that just doesn’t work, though there is some awfully good reading out there. I just don’t need to try to tackle it all at once.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I understand....I have to limit myself. Some days it just doesn't seem right to be reading other's blogs when there are more pressing things to be taking care of.

You will be missed...hope you are back really soon.

Diane said...

I understand too, except my distraction was a voice chat program more than reading blogs. I've decided that there's a real life out there, with real live people that I can be ministering to, and getting to know.

I'll miss reading your thoughts, but you're doing the right thing.

Sandy said...

It all makes sense. Probably every blogger out there can relate to what you are saying.

I try to stay within the mission of my blog, and if anything, down the road I'll print it all out, bind it up, and give to my kids (and their spouses).

I can also see where seasonal blogging makes sense.

You have great thoughts, I'll keep checkin' you out! :)

Lisa Spence said...

I'm having a hard time achieving balance as well. Pray for me as I pray for you?