Thursday, March 08, 2007

Now That My Heart Rate Is Normal Again.....

Boo, at a week shy of 10 months old, has pretty much given up baby food. She gags on Stage 3 baby food – something about the texture, I think, because she does okay with small, diced table food as long as I go slowly while feeding her. Seeing as it’s been 5 years since I had a baby just starting out on table food, this is an adventure all over again for us. Everything this baby does is like a new adventure. She is extremely active!

Boo gave me a scare yesterday afternoon that neither of her brothers ever managed to do when they were babies. I was in the kitchen while Boo crawled around the living room, which I can see from the kitchen. All of a sudden, she was making a gagging, coughing noise and I dropped what I was doing and ran over to her. As I lifted her head, I saw a metallic shiny something in her mouth. My heart entered my throat with fear and adrenaline, and I very carefully fished out a little file cabinet key that M had found and kept for some reason. How it got on the floor and in Boo’s reach, I do not know. I have been on these boys something fierce about keeping small things out of the floor, but they are little boys and there is always something lying around, it seems.

After a long time of holding her close, crying and saying, “Thank You, thank You, thank You, God,” because that was all I could manage to say at that time, I am really thanking God for granting us mercy yesterday. I am even thankful for Boo's extremely sensitive gag reflex. It was a blessing in this case! This little baby is so quick, she just keeps me hopping. I am extremely thankful my little Boo is still able to crawl around the living room and talk in her funny little babbles and grin and giggle with us. So very, very thankful! And you’d better believe I am double and triple checking the floor today!

2 comments:

Diane said...

I'm thanking the Lord with you for His protection over your daughter. That's a scary thing to have happen.

I can identify with the gagging. When my oldest daughter was a baby, I would give her bananas from a baby food jar. The poor baby would just gag, and gag, but she swallowed them. This new mother was a bit slow, and I finally realized she was trying to eat them, but didn't like them.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you, thank you Lord God!