Saturday, March 17, 2007

Bloggity, Blog, Blog

When Jules finds herself in a blogging slump, she decides to share a remedy with the rest of us. Yes, I’m raising my hand, too, since I’ve been on the very brink of taking a blogging break for a while due to a slump myself. Thanks, Jules for blogging material for one more post!

What made you start blogging?
I had been reading several blogs for a while and would talk to my husband about what I was reading. He finally said that he thought what I was saying had just as much merit as what I was telling him I’d read, so I should start my own blog. At the time, I was so timid about the whole internet thing that I wouldn’t even leave comments at the blogs I read. Once I had left a few and gained a little more confidence, I jumped in with my own blog last October. I really meant it to be a kind of online journal of my thoughts, never really thinking anyone would read it until I happened to mention to my parents that I had started it and they began reading. I also started leaving a comment now and then on blogs I liked to read – each time wondering why in the world I had done it, for I still wasn’t sure how I felt about anyone else reading my thoughts. And now, here I am blogging away and not as worried about you "people out there" who may be reading, though I’m still amazed anyone would want to read my ramblings.

What blogging host was your first?
Blogger.

How many different hosts have you tried?
Only one. Blogger is free and user-friendly enough that I haven’t had too much trouble. I’m not the most technologically minded person, but it’s easy enough if you know how to use help and how to search around the internet for help – or ask new blogging friends how they do things.

How long did it take you to figure out how to install items in your sidebar?
Not too long, but I’m still not very good at it – I’ve deleted things and later wished I could get them back but can’t remember how I got them in the first place. I tend towards the sparse in my decorating tastes and that carries over in my blogging.

Do you blog on a desktop or a laptop?
Desktop.

PC or Mac?
PC.

What’s your biggest blogging “don’t”?
Only one? Don’t get involved in brou-ha-has at other people’s blogs. I don’t want the trolls bothering me on mine with their pet issues and don’t intend to get drawn into fruitless arguing where I won’t change someone’s mind and they won’t change mine, so I don’t go there at other sites. I look at blogging this way: it is the author’s blog. They can say what they want. You are probably not going to change anyone’s mind in their comments section – especially if you comment arrogantly. If you don’t like it, blogging is inexpensive, start your own and type away! I also won’t let comments stay in my section that I think may lead someone astray biblically – those I will probably answer or delete. I also will answer or delete a comment that seems to distort the message I intended for my original post. Because some things are eternally important, I feel a real responsiblity to be very careful about what I write in my posts – so another don’t for me on my blog is that I do not want to write something that would lead anyone who may stumble across it into error spiritually. Also, I try not to leave terribly long comments on anyone else’s blog – we bloggers tend to get our pet issues and the anonymity of the medium can lead to arrogance in commenting sometimes.

Oh, and when disagreeing, I don't think it's ever right to literally tear someone apart. The clear fundamentals of the faith that are essential to salvation must be articulated well and held firm on, but there are issues that aren't essentials and aren't as clear that true believers can honestly disagree over, and I hate to see name-calling and bashing over these kinds of nonessential issues when a kind word in season or polite discussion was all that was truly needed (like, for example, the battle over how to view eschatology raging around the blogosphere at the moment (Carla has a nice post on this, by the way) - and, no, I'm not getting into that one at the moment! Sometimes we just need to step back and take a breath before getting all bent out of shape over things that aren't essential to salvation). If we write a post where we intend to deal with an issue where scripture is being misused or practices are being brought into the church and called Christian but are actually unbiblical, we do need to stand for the truth, but we need to watch our tone as we do so. I try to watch my tone in comments and posting as much as possible. Kindness, even when disagreeing strongly, needs to be a rule in this medium as well, since I want my behavior to line up with my confession of faith in all areas of my life. My blogging ought to bring honor to Christ, not dishonor.

What’s your favorite blogging topic?
I pretty much write about things I’ve been thinking about. Sometimes my family or something that happens around town, sometimes more serious things that I’m thinking about regarding church, Bible study or current events/issues. I try not to intentionally tweak "pet issue people" and I don’t talk about politics. That’s just not what my blog is about. I also try not to spill too much personal information that might embarrass my kids or anyone else.

What’s your biggest blogging frustration?
I agree with Jules that not knowing the tone, facial expression, inflections, or assumptions that a commenter is coming in with can hamper discussion. Blogging is a form of discussion at times, but not really a very good one due to the limitations of the medium. I’ve seen comment threads on some blogs turn ugly where they might not have if the conversants had been sitting down face to face over a cup of coffee (tea in my case). I also get very irritated when reading a comment or post where it is obvious that the writer is either deliberately or unintentionally misinterpreting or distorting what someone else has said. Sometimes, as a third party watching these discussions take place, I want to step in as a mediator and say, "Wait a minute, did you mean this the way it came across or not? Is this really what you meant by what you said, because here’s how Person B is insisting on perceiving it, but it seems like you really meant something else." Instead, they tend to get inflammatory and wild because there is deliberate (it sure seems so, anyway) misrepresentation. No, I’m not thinking of a specific example, but this is just something I’ve observed while watching some of these kinds of discussions develop. Was that a rant? Sorry...I just am not a debater, and it tends to make my skin crawl to read the obvious tweaking that goes on out there. I’ll stand up for things I write, and correct error when I become aware of it in my posts, but I don’t intend to go around and around around with anyone, especially if it seems they just want to argue. Let’s face it, some people just like the argument for argument’s sake alone, and they love the thrill of winning a debate – whether they are actually right or not.

What’s been your biggest blessing from blogging?
The friends I’ve met. It’s been a blessing to find other bloggers who hold to the truth of the Bible and have a genuine love for Jesus, and articulate it well. I’ve learned a good deal and been encouraged to study some things out for myself, and that’s a good thing.

No comments: