Monday, January 22, 2007

A Five-Year-Old's Sense of Humor

In search of a lighter topic:

M. thinks he's pretty funny. And so do we, but not always for the reasons he thinks, but we laugh a lot around here.

Here's his idea of a really funny knock, knock joke:
M.: "Knock, knock."
Me: "Who's there?"
M.: "Aren't you glad I didn't say banana?" Lots of laughing.
Me: "Um, I think you forgot part of the joke."
M.: "Nuh-uh. That's how it goes."
Me: "Oh, okay. Ha, ha, ha...."

Also, we never know just what he'll turn up wearing. One day he could be Zorro riding the neighborhood on his trusty old too-small bike, another he could be some weird combination cheesehead person with his "mad face." That one had me rolling when he came up to me wearing it.





Another thing that both boys, but especially M., think is just hysterically funny is trying to scare Mommy by putting a toy snake, frog, or bug on my pillow when I'm not looking. M. is really good at this, because he'll sneak into my room and never say a word before he goes to bed. I never even know he's been in there at all until I go to bed later and there it is.

Most of the time I just see the latest treat and laugh, but the other day M. got me good. When I pulled back the comforter, a black lizard leaped out at me. I yelled, and once my heart slowed a bit, I looked, and, sure enough, it was plastic. It had been placed just right to flip off the blanket when I moved it. My husband laughed so hard to think about M.'s sneakiness finally paying off and he didn't even get to see it. When we told M. the next day that he really had scared me that time, he thought it was hilarious. Meaning there have been even more creepy crawlies left on the pillow since.

As long as they never, ever, ever get the bright idea of using a real snake skin or live creepy thing, we'll be ok. I'm not sure my heart could survive the real thing.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Great picture, Rebekah. My boys, as I type this, are running around the house dressed as superheroes. My walls are rattling! Thanks for letting us in on the laugh too!