Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why I Blog

I’ve been thinking a bit about why I write this blog. Part of the reason is that after years of my husband saying, “That’s a good thought. You should start a blog and write about it.” I finally got over my fears of “being on the web, anybody could read my stuff, and then they could find us and you never know just who is out there” and jumped in. And, let’s face it, if I deep down didn’t want anyone at all to read what I’ve written I’d just get a notebook and keep a private journal. I do a little of that, too, but not as much. I seem to be able to get my thoughts out better behind a keyboard than with pen and paper.

So, my reason for blogging is that I like to write. I really, really like to write. And I needed a place to spill some of my thoughts. I try hard to make sure the spiritual thoughts I share are doctrinally correct, and if I learn I’ve gone off the rails in that way, I’ll make every effort to correct it. But my purpose in writing those thoughts is not to instruct or teach, but to work out my own understanding of things I’m pondering. So, in that way, those more serious posts are personal devotions, I guess. But, obviously, I don’t mind sharing, or I wouldn’t blog. At the same time, I’m not looking to argue with anyone. That’s why I don’t go to some of the more contentious blogs and enter the fray and argue in the comments sections. I just write what I believe, again, making every effort to stay within the bounds of scripture. Hopefully, I’m not saying offensive things, but if someone disagrees with me, that’s okay. But not all my posts are serious and heavy thinking. Sometimes I like to just write about my kids or my “Front Porch” everyday kind of thoughts. These, too, I try to keep within the bounds of scripture, but they are just thoughts about everyday kinds of things.

Something really neat is that Blogger is free! It’s been nice to have an outlet, that’s for sure, and I’m really glad it’s not costing us financially. Though, I’m finding I do need to find a balance. I’ve been on the computer too much lately, so it sometimes does have that hidden cost of time spent blogging that probably should have been spent elsewhere.

One reason I’m on the computer too much is that I’ve found several blogs I really have enjoyed reading. It is a lot of fun finding other women out there who think about serious things, too, and also to read their fun posts about how they enjoy their families as Christian moms should. This has become a real treasure for me. And there are other blogs I like to read, too, that may be more of a deeper thinking, teaching sort. I’ve learned much from them, as well.

So, why do I blog? Because I needed a place to write out my thoughts, and because I enjoy sharing them to a small extent. I’m glad my husband encouraged me on this venture, and I’m glad he’s still encouraging me. There have been a few posts I’ve saved to draft and asked him to read before I hit that scary post button. Hopefully, he’ll help me to reign in my too much information tendency. And I blog because I enjoy it, and I’m enjoying finding other treasures on different blogs I read. I also like to leave a comment now and then when a post someone has written has touched me in some way and to encourage that writer that what they said was worthwhile. And I appreciate the kind comments that are left here, too, though I don’t always respond. I appreciate all of them. And I’m, most of the time, glad I listened to Hubby’s advice and started writing.

4 comments:

Rick Frueh said...

And I like that videogame "blogger"!

Elle said...

Thanks for stopping by. I found your blog through Everyday Mommy. I've enjoyed reading your writings. I completely share your reasons for blogging. That post button can be quite scary. Glad to know you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebekah...
I am like you. I do it for me, but those comments sure are nice! I also think of writing as a muscle... you have to exercise it. I may not always spell things correctly; I may not always have perfect punctuation or grammar, but I do like the exercise of putting thoughts to word in an interesting and creative way. Mostly in a humorous though, because hey, we can all laugh at ourselves! :-D

Lylah Ledner said...

Hi dear Rebecca

I'm not sure how I found your blog, but as an "older" mom, I so enjoy reading what younger women are writing. I have two daughter who blog and I blog.

My point in writing is that I'm updating one of my mentoring sites for women. I'm adding a Sweet MOM Blog page with links. I'd like to add yours. Please let me know if that's OK.

My site is www.womantowoman.us (it won't be up till the end of this next week). My other site is www.lifecoachmoms.com. My blog is lylahledner.blogspot.com. My daughters are listed as chronicles of....

Email me at lylahl@aol.com if you're ok with me adding your blog link. Blessings...Lylah Ledner