Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Satisfying My Blog Fix Now That I'm Home

As the boys' school was out yesterday and today, and since we did not go to Florida over Christmas break, we decided to take a quick weekend trip down to see my parents. We left on Saturday morning and got back tonight, and I'm in blogging withdrawal, so thought I'd at least post a short one this evening, though I'm so tired that it won't be anything very deep.

This was probably the first time we've been there that the boys were old enough to actually care that this is the town I grew up in, so we took them around and showed them the mall and, more exciting for them, Ron Jon's Surf Shop and Cocoa Beach. They each got a Ron Jon t-shirt, M.'s has pirates on the back and J.'s has the space shuttle. Very fitting if you know these boys. We also found some Florida Gators National Championship t-shirts at my favorite store, Target. The boys and D. also got to enjoy swimming in Grandma and Granddad's pool and J. had a blast on the slide. The water was a bit cold for R. and me, so we just watched.

Jeff Foxworthy would probably say we are rednecks. You might be a redneck if you've ever spent an hour at a table at the hamburger grill at the Daytona International Speedway feeding a squirming 8-month-old. Let me explain. I do not think it would be possible to be less interested in NASCAR than I am, but my oldest son thinks he wants to be a race car driver when he grows up, so, since we were driving right by the exit to the Speedway on our way home today, we stopped so the boys could see it. I must say, it was pretty impressive when those cars zoomed by on their practice laps. And the boys enjoyed being there. Now they want to go to an actual race. I told them that will have to be a "Daddy and the boys" trip someday. J. told his teacher the other day that he wants to be a NASCAR driver, and Mrs. L., who thinks J. is really smart, told him he should be a race car driver on the weekends and a doctor or something during the week. J. said he'd rather be a doctor or something on the weekend and drive a race car during the week. Sure hope he outgrows that ambition!

Anyway, we had a good visit and the boys and R. were very well behaved until R. decided about an hour from home this afternoon that she had had enough of her car seat and started screaming nonstop until we could get out at a rest area and let her stretch a bit. So, we're glad to be home and glad we had a nice visit with my parents. And it's off to school tomorrow and back to real life.

No comments: