Monday, February 05, 2007

The Hope That Anchors the Soul

I'm so glad my salvation is not dependent on how I feel on any given day. I struggle often with feeling a little blue. Whether it's unneighborly neighbors, a cranky baby with a cold who isn't sleeping well, an 8-year-old who asks endless questions, a 5-year-old who has meltdowns when he's exhausted, or just plain old hormones, I've been a little down today. Our kindergartner had a 20 minute meltdown this evening over something extremely silly. He gives the phrase "hopping mad" new meaning, because he was hopping all around the living room tonight he was so mad that we'd told him, "no," about something he didn't need. I'm so thankful for my husband, who is much, much more patient than I. When M. hopped out of sight for a moment during the tantrum, D. and I looked at each other and almost fell off the couch in silent laughter. D.'s ability to laugh at such things is a blessing, let me tell you. Of course, we didn't let M. know we were laughing. Days like today make me question whether I have the wisdom to be a good parent. And you know what? I don't. But God does. And His grace is sufficient for me - even when all those things I listed up there are part of the circumstances around me.

This afternoon, when feeling blue, I wrote a poem about my hope. I'm sharing it here with you:

Before all time He is the Great I AM.
His glory all creation will proclaim.
We bow before the spotless, risen Lamb.
All praise is due unto His glorious Name.

The Three-In-One in matchless majesty
Salvation grants to sin-drenched fallen race;
By grace, through faith we have this mystery:
That God's own Son did suffer in our place.

By faith my sin and shame I do confess;
The Cross of Calvary: blood-bought ransom paid;
By grace I stand clothed in His righteousness,
And at His feet my sinful burden laid.

Oh, praise His name, Christ Jesus is the King;
To Him all knees will bow and voices sing!

Jesus is the hope that truly anchors my soul. My salvation rests on His righteousness, not my fickle feelings. Praise God for His matchless grace. Amen.

2 Corinthians 5:21 "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

Hebrews 6:19 "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil, where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek."

Hebrews 7:25 "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them."

5 comments:

Rick Frueh said...

Does it surprise you that I have trouble relating to the kids stuff but posts like this edify me greatly? From the Father's heart through your heart and back to His. And we can listen as it goes along the journey.

Elle said...

Rebekah, I love your poetry. This was a beautiful post. Jesus Christ must be the anchor of hope in this life. Keep pointing at how He holds us fast--very edifying to the body--as Rick wrote.

Baptist Girl said...

Rebekah,
That was beautiful and so God honoring. Thank you for sharing.

Cristina

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. I love your poetry too. Beautifully said, thank you for the reminder (as I have been rather crabby today) that it's not about the feelings.

Lisa Spence said...

Me to God: "I can't do this. I'm not enough."

God to me: "That's the point."

His grace is sufficient!

Beautiful post...

Blessings, Lisa