Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Things Are Looking Up!

If you’ve read my blog for a while, you may remember that I had a little pity party a little bit ago (no, I’m not linking back to it if you didn’t read it :^)). Well, I want to report back that the Lord, in His extreme goodness, has seen fit to begin showing me some answers to my prayers for my church and for myself.

On Sunday, as we drove to church, D and I were talking about how great it would be if we could get a Bible study started for ladies who are home during the day, as I am. He suggested that if the young mom I’ve been trying to reach out to was there that morning, I ought to talk to her about it. Let me back up a minute and say that of the young couples that had been in our Sunday School class, which D teaches, most are young Marine families who have either not re-enlisted and moved on out of state or have orders to relocate out of state in about a month. That means in March, we only have one couple left in our class, and that is this young lady and her husband. I am extremely excited about what we are planning to do, Lord willing, in the near future, however. There is a new couple at our church, and the husband has an apologetics ministry. He is also involved in some way (on the board, I think?) with Answers in Genesis (very cool!), and he’s agreed to teach a Sunday morning class on apologetics. D is going to step back and allow it to be our class, which we’ll advertise to the church, and we are really hoping people will come hear this exciting series. This church desperately needs some good, solid discipling. The church is also planning some special prayer meetings in March that we are very excited about, and the new apologetics class will start up after that.

Anyway, back to last Sunday. Turns out this young mom was there, and her husband had to work, so it was just her, D and me. Before I could even bring it up, she was saying how she really wished our church had a Bible study for someone like her who was home during the week. Coincidence? No way! So we talked a bit about how we could get this started, and also about what a blessing it would be to be able to invite people who visit the church on Sunday morning to something like this. I know of at least one young family we've had phone conversations with that liked the church but did not come back because there just didn’t seem to be anything for stay-home moms during the week. We are still very small, but, like my husband, I am beginning to see that perhaps God is working to change things here and it’s not time to leave, but it is definitely time to get busy. This young mom is a fairly new believer and is really seeking some good teaching. I believe that God has gifted me to teach and has granted me a burden to see these young moms come to a deeper understanding of their relationship with Christ through solid Bible teaching. While we were having this discussion, the pastor came by – he does that during the Sunday school hour, checking up on all the classes. When he heard what we were talking about, he sat down with us. He is now looking into ordering some material for me to look over as we begin getting serious about starting up a study within the next few weeks. Even if it is just me and this other woman in the beginning, I am really looking forward to doing this. We are now trying to figure out how to handle childcare during the time we meet. If we want young moms to come, we’ll have to provide for their kiddos (mine, too!). The pastor said if we have to we may just have to hire some workers to come in. D is hoping some of the older ladies in the church will step up and help if we bring the need before the church. This was an issue in the past when we tried to have a daytime meeting, but I was the only one with kids at the time, so I’d just bring the boys and let them watch a (decent, clean) movie while we met. But I have an infant, now and so does the other mom, so that’s not going to work. We’ll have to have help.

So, what I’m praying about this is wisdom to know how to get the study rolling with the practical issues of childcare and deciding what we need to be teaching as we start out. I am also praying I will be a humble and dedicated teacher as we get this going as well, and that Christ will be glorified as we draw near to Him and study His Word together.

I’m glad to report that I am continuing to learn to submit to my husband’s leadership in staying put in this church and I’m seeking to obey God and get busy about discipling those He puts before me. Oh! And I forgot to mention, speaking of discipling, my boys and I got back on track this morning with their Truth and Grace Memory Book. Why in the world would I let that slide? The mornings we start out with that are just so sweet. And these kids God has blessed us by placing in our home to parent are definitely our first discipleship responsibility.

Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Rick Frueh said...

Rebekah, when all else fails, and when the clouds are all black, and when you are becoming devoid of hope, say this with your lips and spirit (as I have done).

"I have eternal life!"

The basic of all doctines and the reason for Jesus' sacrifice is the deepest of all. John 3:16 offers a succinct and glorious revelation that we should all use as our constant source of encouragement and joy.

"I have eternal life", and if that be true what can bring me down? God bless your sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you, Rebekah, I am so glad the Lord brought you refreshment today!

Lisa Spence said...

How faithful is our God!

"I am also praying I will be a humble and dedicated teacher as we get this going as well, and that Christ will be glorified as we draw near to Him and study His Word together." My heart's cry as well!