Tuesday, February 27, 2007

So Baking is Not My Forte, Either

Okay, I’ve spent this entire day baking. Tomorrow is the kindergarten bake sale at school which will hopefully earn enough to offset the cost of an upcoming field trip to a children’s museum (I think? Well, I may not remember what we’re earning the money for, but at least I remembered to bake, right???)

Anyway, I’m not really a bad cook, per se. I just don’t like baking, you understand. And I’ve decided that I’m just not meant to make Rice Krispies treats. Go ahead. Laugh at my expense. I know the recipe is deceptively easy. But not for me.

The first batch I made, the marshmallow butter stuff started cooling and getting too sticky to mess with before the Rice Krispies were fully coated. I had gooey Krispie mess stuck to the pan, the spoon and the buttered spatula before I finally just used my (clean!!) hands to mash the stuff in the pan. Oh, and I burned my arm getting the gooey mess out of the pan because I forgot the bottom of the pan is HOT when you’re done melting butter and marshmallows. Once the concoction cooled, however, I cut it into nice little squares, and they are now individually wrapped and ready for tomorrow along with some brownies and chocolate chip muffins – also individually wrapped and ready.

The second batch I made was solely for oldest son’s snacking pleasure. He was so sad the first batch would be going to school for the bake sale, I promised him I’d make him some more also and he’d have them when he comes home this afternoon. Well, I must have had more butter in this marshmallow butter stuff for the gooey mess just slid right out of the pan into to other pan. However, they are not cutting into the nice firm squares like the first batch did. These are just clinging to the knife and turning into Rice Krispie mounds as I cut. Good thing these are staying home. Oh, well. They taste good! Hope the kids like them. Who wouldn’t like buttery marshmallow Rice Krispie mounds?

Now that the baking is done, I must go and retrieve the kids from school and engage in what I am sure will be another entertaining conversation on the way home. They always are. They like to keep me on my toes!! :^)

5 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

I too am Rice Krispy treat challenged...

Kim said...

I love to cook,but baking has not always been my favorite thing...I usually mess up cakes for some reason...I still try, and my family just laughs...but it is okay! I just keep on trying!

Kim

Jill said...

I, too, am baking challenged. I have a hard time with the Rice Krispy Treats, but I have to tell you...I can make those easier than the simplest recipe for fudge. And I do mean the simplest. We eat our fudge with a spoon around here.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I lived next door to you. I love to bake, and I'd show you how, and make it easy for you. Don't give up!

Anonymous said...

I have a secret to PERFECT rice krispy treats every time. in addition to the butter and marshmallows, put about about 1/2 a cup of peanut butter in the pan to melt. To die for!