Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I've Got to Quit Procrastinating on This

I think I mentioned sometime back that it was time to start getting serious about losing the last of the baby weight and the other 10 pounds I had wanted to lose before finding out we were expecting that baby in the first place. Well, I’ve procrastinated, the baby is now 14 ½ months old and the scale has stayed resolutely on that number I don’t like, so on Monday I finally got serious for real and started to keep a food journal. I know how to eat healthy, but the problem is, if I don’t keep myself accountable, it’s way too easy to snack too much during the day. I end up, not gaining, but maintaining and I don’t want to maintain this weight I’m currently at. If I know I have to write that piece of chocolate or that praline that my mother-in-law gave me because she needed to get it out of her house before she ate it, thankyouverymuch, I will be much less likely to indulge than if I don’t have to write it down along with the 10,000 (give or take) calories it delivers to my hips.

And I’m trying to incorporate more walking into the weekly regimen, too. I was doing really well about that until the heat cranked up outside, but if I get moving early, Boo and I can stand a few laps around the neighborhood before the heat of the day settles over us. I know I usually don’t blog about this kind of stuff, but I’m hoping that by writing it out here on the old blog, maybe that will serve to induce enough guilt or accountability or whatever it is I’m needing to stay serious enough to drop the 20 pounds I’d like to see go away for good.

Hubby’s real job (as opposed to the Army which is rapidly overtaking our lives) is in cardiac and pulmonary rehab and wellness at the local hospital. So, I really know what I need to be doing, just need to stick with it. And if I’m sticking with it, my kiddos will have to eat healthier, too. Side benefit of Mom trying to be healthier. If the cook doesn’t fix the fattening stuff, no one can eat it! Of course, this is not happy news for the child who begs to go to Burger King every single day because he wants the Transformer piece of junk toy that is in their kids’ meals. There will be no BK days in the near future, I’m afraid. His comeback is always, “But, Mom, they have salads there.” Yeah, but they also have French fries and onion rings, and I do better if we just stay away. Very far away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just said a little prayer for you (and for me, too, as I'm in the same boat. That extra weight just becomes so familiar, after a while.) I hope you start to feel a buoyancy and vigor in the next few days that spurs you on to better and better health and that the weight falls off in the process.

I know that you don't usually share about these things but I'm glad you did because I needed a kick in the pants myself.

Enjoy your walks.

Rebekah said...

Thank you! I'm glad it was encouraging to someone besides just me.