Saturday, July 21, 2007

Oh, To Tame The Tongue!

Proverbs 31:26
“She opens her mouth with wisdom,
And on her tongue is the law of kindness.”

Proverbs 15:1
“A soft answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.”


I know I’ve posted these before, but I need to be reminded again. One of the hardest things about being Mom for me is to keep my cool when one of the boys is having a meltdown due to frustration or anger. Before I had children I was under the delusion that I was a calm, patient and rational person. Since having children I have realized much more fully that I am a sinner who is so incredibly grateful for God’s grace and mercy and so desperately in need of His indwelling Holy Spirit to get through each day and learn to demonstrate grace and mercy to others. It is hard, hard, hard not to lash out and spill my own frustration and anger over the situation when one of the boys is spiraling out of control. But that only makes it worse. Trust me. I know of what I’m speaking.

I spent much time on my face today in tears before the Lord asking once again for the wisdom and grace to tame my stupid tongue. The boys need me to model self-control and to love them unconditionally, not to react to their lack of maturity.

Please, oh Lord God, change my heart and help me keep my cool when childish tempers are rising! Let my answers be soft and full of wisdom and kindness, and help me to recognize in the heat of the moment when my own attitude is not pleasing to You.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks for this. I have found motherhood has really exposed my sinful heart in a new way as well. It's good to know I'm not alone!

Lisa Hellier said...

I agree, concur and stand equally convicted. May God hold us to His standards, with mercy and forgiveness for our failures.

Spirit of Adoption said...

ahhhhhh.....good words, sister! Thanks for sharing, so genuinely....THAT is what we are called to do as a body of believers....so that we might encourage one another! Amen?!! In being a mommy....I've, as you said, appreciated saving GRACE in a whole new way....and mercies that are new every morning have become fresh breath for my soul over and over!!! James was right....the tongue, the TONGUE....it is a restles evil, full of deadly poison!! No man can tame the tongue, BUT our God of ALL power can......may He do it in us!

Chaotic Joy said...

Awww, this brought tears to my eyes because I know. I really do. I also know that the only way I will ever be able to control my frustrations is through the Holy Spirit, because I, on my own, have failed again and again.

I will join you in this prayer. Thank you for your honestly.